April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, making it an excellent opportunity to encourage communities to come together and raise awareness for child abuse and neglect. While we are constantly working to spread this message, recognizing the cause during April can significantly impact the rest of the year.
The team at the Children’s Advocacy Center of Hidalgo and Starr Counties (CACHSC) aren’t the only ones who can make a difference in children’s lives. You can also get involved in your community and work toward keeping children safe. Keep reading to learn how you can help prevent child abuse.
Why Do We Recognize Child Abuse Prevention Month?
Every child deserves the opportunity to live happy, healthy, and safe lives, free from abuse and neglect, and recognizing that during Child Abuse Prevention Month is a great reminder. This month, learn or refresh your memory on the signs of child abuse so you can help the children in your community.
How Does the CACHSC Serve the Community With Child Abuse Awareness?
At CACHSC, we not only work to raise awareness, but also to rebuild hope. We offer several services to children and their family members who aren’t abusers.
- Forensic Interviews
- SANE Exams
- Support Cases
- Parenting Classes
- Financial Support
We don’t want to just protect children from abuse, but also help them find mental, emotional, and physical healing so they can rejoin their community with strength and support.
How Has CACHSC Made a Difference in Fighting Child Abuse?
In 2022, the Children’s Advocacy Center served 2,173 children in the surrounding Hidalgo and Starr counties. We also conducted 3,718 mental health sessions, 1,893 forensic interviews, and 308 medical exams in 2022. All of this vital work has been to improve the lives of children in our community and make a difference in their future.
What Can I Do to Recognize Child Abuse Prevention Month?
There are three ways you can provide support during Child Abuse Prevention Month.
1. Donate — Whether personally or through corporate giving from your business, you can donate to the cause of preventing child abuse. This helps fund medical exams, interviews, and court cases for children and families.
2. Spread awareness — When the community understands what and how child abuse occurs, people can work to help decrease the chances of child abuse and neglect.
3. Watch for signs — A child may not be comfortable enough to tell you about the abuse, so watch for child abuse signs and respond quickly by calling the authorities.
- Frequent or unexplained injuries
- Fear of an individual or place
- Withdrawn behavior
- Unattended medical care
- Self-destructive behavior
- Difficulty walking or sitting
- Significant weight changes
Join the Cause for Child Abuse Awareness With CACHSC!
While the work at the Children’s Advocacy Center of Hidalgo and Starr Counties makes a big difference, we can’t do this work alone. We need your help to recognize and report child abuse and neglect. If you suspect abuse or neglect, call local law enforcement at 9-1-1 or the Child Protective Services hotline at 1-800-252-5400. Let’s work together to raise child abuse awareness and stop child abuse and neglect.